Five Saharawi were seriously injured Friday when a 19 year old stepped on a landmine in Esabti Rus, 70 kilometers outside the refugee camps.
The victims, accompanied by hundreds of his countrymen, and more than 2,000 international activists, participating in a peaceful demonstration against the Moroccan wall that divides the Western Sahara in two.
The blast occurred when five people tried to cross a barrier made of barbed wire, called the Wall of Shame among the Saharawi and their international supporters - and approaching the wall. Three
of the victims, identified as Ibrahim Husain Abait, and Mohammed Hamdi Salem Fadli Adbelahi Larosi Buddha walking down a field of active mines with more than 300 more than the activists.
Ibrahim, the camp of Dakhla, the most serious injury suffered when he lost more than half of your foot. Mohamed Hamdi and left with burns and wounds from fragmentation grenade on their faces, arms and backs.
Fortunately, a Saharawi doctors and members of Landmine Action (LMA), an NGO working to demine the Western Sahara, accompanied the demonstrators on his way to the wall. The group had paramedics who treated the wounds of victims and were evacuated from the area. Led Ibrahim to a hospital in Tindouf, Algeria, and the other four to the National Hospital in Rabouni Saharawi.
March against the wall
The demonstration was called the International March against the Wall of Shame and was organized by the National Union of Saharawi Women (UNMS). During the march, the 3,000 participants formed a human chain in the desert and walked about 2 of 2,500 km of the wall, which is surrounded by millions of anti-personnel mines and anti-tanks.
The activists made the trip to the desert to show their opposition to the Moroccan wall and support the right of self-determination for the Saharawi people.
built by Morocco in the years 80s, the Wall of Shame increases the suffering of the Saharawi families, separating people living in the Occupied Territories from friends and relatives refugees living in exile in Algeria.
According to a delegate of Landmine Action, more than 7 million land mines near the Moroccan wall, and most have been planted by methods that violate international standards on its use.
To bring the situation in Western Sahara to the international community, LMA has held several conferences during the last week, highlighting the danger that exists here.
MINURSO was not present in the march on Friday against the Moroccan wall, according to the Saharawi Prime Minister
Tindouf, 12 Abr. (Special envoy IRIN, Ramón Couso) -
Prime Minister of the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Taleb Omar Abdel Kader said that last Friday there was no representative of the United Nations Mission in Western Sahara ( MINURSO) during the demonstration against the Moroccan wall which was attended by hundreds of English and in which two young Saharawi were injured by a landmine explosion. Omar Taleb said
the importance of English solidarity with the Saharawi cause and against the Moroccan militarized wall defended by about 2,800 miles over five million mines. "It's important manifestation because the public does not know the reality," said told Europa Press from the refugee camp on Feb. 27 School, located just outside the Algerian town of Tindouf.
Saharawi leader regretted that MINURSO has only been limited so far to ensure compliance with the ceasefire. "I do not care about the welfare of the population and to ensure respect for human rights in the area occupied by Marreucos. We demand the extension of the mandate mission to include these issues within its competence and to intervene in cases as of Friday, "he said.
The Security Council UN meets on March 14 to receive a report of the secretary general, Ban Ki Moon, including the comments of Ban's special envoy for the conflict, Christopher Ross. The Council will probably decide whether to approve an extension of term of MINURSO, although it is unclear if at some point will vary their powers.
"The incident is due to the excitement of youth burning, but the wall is the danger of mines, often causing casualties among pastors and other Sahrawi "moving in the vicinity of this fort Moroccan said. The organizers said the demonstration area with a preview, he said, but "young people exceeded the safety limit and entered a mined area was not signposted."
"Violations of Human Rights and the mines have led to a radicalization" of Saharawi society, he said. In addition, the prime minister denied the allegations of Morocco on the presence of armed elements Saharan shoot. "The organizers were civilians. There were people from the People's Liberation Army, armed wing of the Polisario Front, said.
"The violation is real over and general military maneuvers (Abdelaziz) Bennani developed within the range of 30 miles "east of the ceasefire line. In a stretch of five miles west of the Moroccan wall can not have armed forces Sahrawi and Moroccan and must report their presence to the authorities of the MINURSO when approaching from a distance of less than 30 kilometers from the truce line. In addition, Taleb Omar denounced the cease-fire and UN resolution that guarantees it prohibits changing the settings of Moroccan defensive wall, which, asguró is doing to include new fortifications.
With respect to the position of Spain Taleb Omar regretted the attitude of the government and what he considered more serious, the apparent consensus between the two main parties PP and PSOE, and support the autonomy plan proposed by Morocco. "It seemed that the PP was to maintain a differentiated position, but is now aligned with (Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Miguel Angel) Moratinos," he lamented. This attitude would represent yet another betrayal of the Government (English) and the two major parties, "he said referring to the hasty departure from Spain of its colony in 1975 which led the Moroccan invasion.
Prime Minister of the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Taleb Omar Abdel Kader said that last Friday there was no representative of the United Nations Mission in Western Sahara ( MINURSO) during the demonstration against the Moroccan wall which was attended by hundreds of English and in which two young Saharawi were injured by a landmine explosion. Omar Taleb said
the importance of English solidarity with the Saharawi cause and against the Moroccan militarized wall defended by about 2,800 miles over five million mines. "It's important manifestation because the public does not know the reality," said told Europa Press from the refugee camp on Feb. 27 School, located just outside the Algerian town of Tindouf.
Saharawi leader regretted that MINURSO has only been limited so far to ensure compliance with the ceasefire. "I do not care about the welfare of the population and to ensure respect for human rights in the area occupied by Marreucos. We demand the extension of the mandate mission to include these issues within its competence and to intervene in cases as of Friday, "he said.
The Security Council UN meets on March 14 to receive a report of the secretary general, Ban Ki Moon, including the comments of Ban's special envoy for the conflict, Christopher Ross. The Council will probably decide whether to approve an extension of term of MINURSO, although it is unclear if at some point will vary their powers.
"The incident is due to the excitement of youth burning, but the wall is the danger of mines, often causing casualties among pastors and other Sahrawi "moving in the vicinity of this fort Moroccan said. The organizers said the demonstration area with a preview, he said, but "young people exceeded the safety limit and entered a mined area was not signposted."
"Violations of Human Rights and the mines have led to a radicalization" of Saharawi society, he said. In addition, the prime minister denied the allegations of Morocco on the presence of armed elements Saharan shoot. "The organizers were civilians. There were people from the People's Liberation Army, armed wing of the Polisario Front, said.
"The violation is real over and general military maneuvers (Abdelaziz) Bennani developed within the range of 30 miles "east of the ceasefire line. In a stretch of five miles west of the Moroccan wall can not have armed forces Sahrawi and Moroccan and must report their presence to the authorities of the MINURSO when approaching from a distance of less than 30 kilometers from the truce line. In addition, Taleb Omar denounced the cease-fire and UN resolution that guarantees it prohibits changing the settings of Moroccan defensive wall, which, asguró is doing to include new fortifications.
With respect to the position of Spain Taleb Omar regretted the attitude of the government and what he considered more serious, the apparent consensus between the two main parties PP and PSOE, and support the autonomy plan proposed by Morocco. "It seemed that the PP was to maintain a differentiated position, but is now aligned with (Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Miguel Angel) Moratinos," he lamented. This attitude would represent yet another betrayal of the Government (English) and the two major parties, "he said referring to the hasty departure from Spain of its colony in 1975 which led the Moroccan invasion.





0 comments:
Post a Comment